Our calendar of activities…Add? Subtract? Change? In this fast paced world, this may be one of the toughest challenges we as parents face. But what drives our calendar? Well rounded kids? Keeping up with the Jones? Not wanting to be home?
We have an overall goal for our family – to further the Kingdom of God. We base all of our decisions – discipline, training, purchases, activities, etc. – on whether it will help our family love on people like Jesus would.
I read or heard this quote somewhere (sorry that I didn’t write down the source.)
There is a world of difference between activity and progress.
In life, we can be really busy being busy. Our calendar can look like a word search puzzle if we aren’t careful. Although all great activities, they will keep us…busy.
Progress on the other hand keeps us moving forward toward our goal. The activities are specifically chosen and eliminated based on whether they progressing us toward the end result we desire. I will be honest, Bible studies and church activities are great. But, too much of anything is bad. We have stepped back from more than one ministry opportunity because it simply wasn’t further our goal. I have turned down several women’s Bible studies. I know that I would have grown but my family would have suffered in the mean time.
As the school year is getting into full swing, I encourage you to sit down with your spouse, a close friend (who will be real with you), or a pastor. Also, bring your calendar to quiet time and pray over the activities you have planned.
- What is the reason for choosing this activity?
- Is this a good activity but not the right time to participate?
- Will this activity provide more or less family time?
- How is my attitude toward the activity? Do I dread it? Do I feel refreshed afterwards?
- What is God placing on my heart to get involved in?
- Is this activity moving our family to a closer relationship with Him?
- Is this activity allowing my child to be further used by God?
Activity or progress?